Over the last three years, a handful of Republicans with scruples—or plans to leave Congress—have issued industrial strength rebukes of Donald Trump. As a result, Democratic midterm candidates can thump-Trump-on-the-stump simply by quoting Republicans… without worrying about charges of partisan hyperbole. And you can help!
SOUNDS LIKE FUN, RIGHT?
Want to join in? Contribute your favorite quotes to our Library of GOP Trump-Thumps by adding to our favorites such as…
“Trump is perhaps the most dishonest person to run for high office in our lifetimes… He is a childish man running for a job that requires maturity. He is an insecure boasting little boy whose desires were somehow arrested at age 12.”
– David Brooks, conservative columnist; March 2016
“We know that this administration is vile, corrupt, and likely criminal. We know that this president is amoral, he is mentally and intellectually unfit for his office.”
– Steve Schmidt, McCain for President campaign manager; September 2018
“We’re not ditching any constitutional protections simply because the last person the President talked to today doesn’t like them.”
– Senator Ben Sasse (R-Nebraska); February 2018
And because it wouldn’t be a contest without annoying rules, here are ours:
THE GRANDPARENTS FOR DEMOCRACY
TRUMP-THUMP CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
All entries must be:
(1) Less than 50 words
(2) Accurate and accompanied by a reputable, verifiable source. (NY Times and Wash. Post are acceptable; Breitbart News, National Enquirer, or something Lindsay Graham muttered to his caddy while pretending not to notice Trump nudging his golf ball back on to the fairway: are not.)
(3) A quote from a recognizable Republican/conservative source (even GOP Senators who say the right thing just before doing the wrong thing)
(4) Accompanied by month and year the statement was made
(5) Printable in a publication suitable for children who haven’t yet started listening to what the big kids are saying in the back of the school bus
(6) Received by midnight on whatever date we get too bleary-eyed to read any more
The Thump Trump contest is PERFECT FOR GRANDPARENTS: It’s educational AND a lot more fun than those moldy jigsaw puzzles OUR grandparents used to drag up from the cellar for us.
Send your entries to: LS@grandparentsforDemocracy.org with the subject: “Trump-Thump.” Vetted entries will be posted on our Facebook page, and will be judged by how artfully they thump Trump, in the opinion of those of our contest judges who manage to remain on their meds through Election Day.
So who knows? You just might win yourself a Grandparents for Democracy magnet bumper sticker. JUST LIKE GRANDMA’s!